Friday, 21 August

Accra Circuit Court remands Nigerian national for 2 weeks over armed robbery charges

Crime
Augustine Okechuku Maazi

The Accra Circuit Court has remanded a 49-year old Nigerian national, Augustine Okechuku Maazi, into police custody for two weeks over his alleged involvement in a robbery syndicate.

Okechuku Maazi has been charged with eight counts of conspiracy to commit robbery in connection with alleged robbery attacks in Tema, Spintex and Labone.

He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

According to the prosecution, the accused is part of a six-member robbery syndicate that allegedly trails and attacks victims shortly after they conduct transactions at banks.

The prosecution told the court that the syndicate operates across Ghana, Ivory Coast and Benin and had been under police surveillance since May 2026 following an attack on victims at Spintex.

The case took another turn on August 13, 2026, when police engaged some members of the alleged syndicate in a shootout at Labone, resulting in the death of two suspects.

Three other suspects are said to be at large.

Counsel for Okechuku Maazi applied for bail but the prosecution opposed the application, arguing that the accused was a flight risk and that investigations into the case were ongoing.

Presiding judge, JoJo Amoah Hagan, subsequently refused the bail application and remanded Okechuku Maazi into police custody for two weeks.

He is expected to reappear before the court on September 2, 2026.

Source: classfmonline.com/Maame Aba Brew