Friday, 22 May

No Ebola case recorded in Ghana or West Africa — Health Minister assures

Health News
Minister of Health Kwabena Mintah Akandoh

Health Minister Kwabena Mintah Akandoh has assured Ghanaians that no case of Ebola has been recorded in the country or anywhere in West Africa, despite heightened global concern following the World Health Organisation’s declaration of the outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

Addressing the nation in Accra on Thursday, May 21, the Minister urged calm while calling for vigilance and strict adherence to preventive measures.

“Dear countrymen and women, the Ministry of Health over the past one week has issued two publications on Ebola. Last week, WHO declared Ebola as a public health emergency of international concern,” he said.

Mr Akandoh explained that Ebola is a highly infectious viral disease spread through direct contact with infected blood, body fluids, secretions, or contaminated materials.

“Ebola is a viral disease spread through direct contact with blood, body fluids, secretions, and contaminated surfaces or materials,” he stated.

He advised individuals experiencing symptoms such as sudden fever, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, or unexplained bleeding to immediately seek medical attention.

“People experiencing symptoms such as sudden fever, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea, or unexplained bleeding should immediately report to the nearest health facility,” the Minister said.

The Health Minister stressed that Ghana remains free of the virus.

“It is important to note that no cases have been recorded in West Africa, including our dear country, Ghana. However, it is said prevention is always better than cure,” he added.

As part of ongoing preventive efforts, the Ministry of Health has issued public advisories encouraging regular handwashing and the use of hand sanitisers, especially during public events and mass gatherings.

“One, practice good hand hygiene. What this means is that we should wash our hands frequently with soap and running water or use hand sanitizers,” Mr Akandoh stated.

He also urged organisers of public gatherings to provide handwashing stations and sanitisers.

“During mass gatherings, please also practice good hand hygiene and event organizers should provide hand washing stations and hand sanitizers,” he added.

The Minister further assured the public that the government is strengthening preparedness measures across the country.

“Dear countrymen and women, it is important to stress that presently the risk is low in Ghana. I would like to use this opportunity to assure everybody that the government is taking all the necessary measures to protect us all,” he said.

The World Health Organisation recently declared the Ebola outbreak in parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo a Public Health Emergency of International Concern following hundreds of suspected infections and dozens of deaths.

Although the outbreak remains concentrated in Central and East Africa, health authorities globally have intensified surveillance amid fears of cross-border transmission.

In Ghana, the Ministry of Health and the Ghana Health Service say surveillance, screening, preparedness, and response systems have been strengthened at health facilities and points of entry across the country.

Source: classfmonline.com