Wednesday, 20 May

V/R: Thousands face water crisis as Ghana Water shuts Kpeve Treatment Plant over extreme pollution

News
Kpeve Treatment Plant

Thousands of residents across parts of the Volta Region risk recurring water shortages following the temporary shutdown of the Kpeve Water Treatment Plant by Ghana Water Limited over dangerously high turbidity levels in its raw water source.

The shutdown has heightened fears of a looming water crisis in the Ho Municipality and adjoining districts, as the plant remains a major source of potable water for communities including Ho, South Dayi, Afadzato South, and surrounding areas.

A statement signed by the Chief Manager of Public Relations and Communication at GWL, Stanley Martey, explained that worsening environmental degradation around the facility had rendered water treatment technically unsafe and operationally impossible.

According to the company, severe siltation and pollution at the plant’s intake source have significantly compromised the quality of raw water entering the treatment system, forcing management to suspend operations temporarily.

“The current turbidity levels have exceeded the acceptable operational threshold required for safe and effective water treatment, thereby making continued production technically unsafe and operationally impossible,” the statement said.

GWL described the situation as alarming, explaining that heavy rains, coupled with land disturbances around the intake area, had caused excessive mud and sediment to flow into the water source, resulting in raw water becoming too turbid for treatment.

The company linked the worsening crisis to activities allegedly undertaken by BSK City Developers, a private firm reportedly involved in a longstanding dispute with GWL over construction works near the Kpeve intake point.

According to GWL, the developer is alleged to have continued construction activities despite directives from the Volta Regional Coordinating Council ordering an immediate halt to all works within the protected buffer zone surrounding the facility.

Officials indicated that hills close to the intake point had been graded, extensive excavation works carried out, and loose topsoil deposited dangerously near the water source. This, they noted, had increased vulnerability to soil erosion during rainfall.

GWL explained that with natural vegetation removed, runoff water now transports substantial volumes of sediment directly into the intake channel, leading to severe siltation and muddy conditions beyond the treatment capacity of the plant.

Management said the current development validates earlier warnings issued over the dangers posed by encroachment and environmentally harmful activities near critical water infrastructure.

During an inspection tour of the Kpeve Tornu area in October 2025, Managing Director of Ghana Water Limited, Adam Mutawakilu, cautioned against continued encroachment around the intake point, warning of possible disruptions to water supply if immediate interventions were not undertaken.

“The situation clearly demonstrates the dangers associated with encroachment and environmentally harmful activities around critical water infrastructure,” he reportedly stated during a media interaction.

GWL further warned that the problem extends beyond seasonal rainfall, stressing that recreational developments and other human activities around the intake area could continuously degrade water quality through waste disposal, pollution and land disturbances.

The company noted that debris generated from recreational activities, including plastics and food waste, could further contaminate the water body and worsen siltation over time.

The Kpeve Water Treatment Plant, which supplies potable water to thousands of residents across the Volta Region, has an installed production capacity of 18,181 cubic metres per day.

Management cautioned that repeated shutdowns could severely disrupt water supply to households, schools and healthcare facilities while placing additional pressure on operational systems and financial resources.

GWL also warned that continued encroachment around the intake point could compel the company to suspend operations for extended periods during future rainy seasons if immediate corrective measures are not enforced.

Beyond the operational implications, the company expressed concern that failure to safeguard the Kpeve water source could result in long-term environmental degradation with serious implications for public health, livelihoods and economic activities within the region.

The situation has sparked renewed calls for urgent intervention by traditional authorities, political leaders, environmental regulators and the ministry responsible for water resources.

GWL appealed to chiefs and opinion leaders to support efforts aimed at protecting the water buffer zone from further encroachment. It also called on institutions such as the Environmental Protection Agency, National Security and local assemblies to enforce environmental regulations and halt harmful activities around the intake area.

Mr Stanley Martey, further indicated that Technical teams are closely monitoring the situation, with assurances that operations will resume only when turbidity levels return to safe operational standards.

In the meantime, residents in affected communities have been urged to use available water sparingly as uncertainty persists over when normal water supply will be fully restored.

Source: classfmonline.com/Solomon Mensah-Ahiable