Sunday, 23 August

Education Ministry condemns abuse of autistic BOGISS student, orders reinstatement to boarding status

Education
Minister of Education Haruna Iddrisu

The Ministry of Education has condemned the alleged sexual abuse of a 14-year-old student with autism at Bolgatanga Girls’ Senior High School (BOGISS) in the Upper East Region.

The student was allegedly sexually assaulted by two watchmen employed at the school.

In a statement dated Thursday, August 20, the Ministry said it condemned “in the strongest terms” any act of sexual abuse or exploitation of a child under its care.

“Schools exist to protect and nurture students, and any breach of that trust — particularly by adults entrusted with safeguarding vulnerable children — is unacceptable and will not be tolerated,” the Ministry said.

It stressed that the student could not be held responsible for the alleged abuse.

“We wish to state unequivocally that a minor cannot be held responsible for sexual abuse perpetrated against her by an adult,” it added.

Minister orders investigation, reinstatement

The Minister for Education, Haruna Iddrisu, has directed the Ghana Education Service (GES) to investigate the matter and report immediately.

He has also directed the Service to ensure that the student receives the necessary medical attention and counselling for her recovery, and to immediately reinstate her boarding status.

The Ministry assured the student’s family and the public that it would ensure justice was served.

The GES earlier said the two watchmen had been interdicted with immediate effect and handed over to the Police for further investigation.

The Upper East Regional Police Command identified the suspects as 38-year-old Elvis Adongo and 72-year-old Adams Nyaaba Iddrisu, and said they were in custody assisting with investigations.

The Ministry described the incident as an act of indiscipline and reaffirmed its commitment to protecting the safety, dignity and rights of every child in Ghana’s school system.

Source: classfmonline.com