Friday, 22 May

Defence Ministry in 'safe hands' under acting leadership, says Felix Kwakye Ofosu

News
Dr Cassiel Ato Baah Forson

Government spokesperson and Abura Asebu-Kwamankese MP, Felix Kwakye Ofosu, has defended the continued absence of a substantive Minister for Defence, assuring the public that the nation's security architecture remains robust and in "safe hands."

Speaking on JoyNews’ PM Express on Monday, May 18, 2026, Kwakye Ofosu dismissed concerns over the unprecedented vacancy, insisting that state security operations have suffered no setbacks.

The programme's host, Evans Mensah, reminded the government spokesperson that President John Dramani Mahama had previously indicated a substantive minister would be named after the Christmas holidays — a deadline that has long passed without an appointment.

Kwakye Ofosu responded by emphasising that the timing of the appointment rests entirely within the purview of the executive.

“Any day that the president communicates to me that he has appointed a defence minister, I’ll make it known to you,” Kwakye Ofosu stated.

He maintained that the ministry has continued to run efficiently under its current interim structure.

“But I think that by and large, we have held the fort, and the government has functioned effectively. There’s not been any lapses, as far as I know, in terms of Ghana’s defence architecture,” he said.

Far from experiencing operational stagnation, Kwakye Ofosu argued that the defense sector is seeing marked improvements, pointing to ongoing logistics upgrades within the Ghana Armed Forces.

“Indeed, things appear to be improving on that front because they are acquiring additional firepower in terms of their equipment and retooling, and all that is going quite well,” he noted.

The Ministry of Defence is currently being overseen in an acting capacity by the Minister for Finance, Dr Cassiel Ato Forson.

Kwakye Ofosu suggested that this dual responsibility has actually streamlined administrative bottlenecks, particularly regarding military procurement.

“Perhaps it helps that the man who has to bankroll (Dr Ato Forson) is also the one who is in the acting capacity at the Defence Ministry. So everything is on track,” he remarked.

When pressed further on why President Mahama has delayed nominating a permanent head for such a critical ministry, Kwakye Ofosu questioned the basis of the concern and reiterated his stance on the ministry's stability.

“So, what is the exact problem at the Defence Ministry?” he asked. “I want to stress that the Defence Ministry continues to be in safe hands and it continues to be in experienced hands, and it is running smoothly.”

He concluded by stating that the president will make a formal nomination at his own discretion, adding, “As of when the President deems it necessary to do so, he would do so.”

Source: classfmonline.com