Ghana postpones evacuation of nationals from South Africa over logistical and legal processes
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has postponed the planned evacuation of Ghanaians living in South Africa following recent xenophobic attacks in parts of the country.
The evacuation exercise, which was expected to begin on Thursday, May 21, 2026, has been delayed for a few days to allow Ghana’s High Commission in Pretoria to complete legal and logistical procedures required by South African authorities.
In a statement issued in Accra, the Ministry said more than 800 Ghanaians have so far registered for evacuation due to security concerns arising from the attacks targeting foreign nationals.
According to the ministry, the postponement is linked to mandatory passenger screening, flight clearance arrangements, and coordination between institutions in both Ghana and South Africa.
“Considering the numbers involved and the South African legal conditions that have to be met, including mandatory passenger screening, multi-institutional coordination and flight permits, the planned evacuation has been deferred by a few days to enable our High Commission meet these evacuation conditions,” the statement said.
The ministry noted that officials from both countries are continuing discussions and operational planning to facilitate the evacuation process.
It also assured affected Ghanaians that efforts are ongoing to ensure their safety and safe return home.
“We commend them for their remarkable understanding and patience,” the Ministry added.
The latest development comes amid renewed reports of xenophobic violence in some South African communities, where foreign nationals, including African migrants, have reportedly been attacked.
South Africa has experienced repeated incidents of xenophobic violence over the years, with tensions often linked to unemployment, crime, and economic hardship. Ghanaian nationals living in the country, including traders, students, and professionals, have at times been affected.
The ministry said it will continue to provide updates as preparations for the evacuation continue.
Source: classfmonline.com
Trending News

Deputy Defence Minister welcomes Royal College of Defence Studies delegation to Ghana
09:09
Transport Minister: Government doesn't own Air Ghana
14:30
Evalue Ajomoro Gwira NDC members petition party leadership over alleged electoral manipulation
15:23
Lordina Mahama urges skilled Ghanaians to stay and build the nation
00:13
YEA board holds workshop to scale up youth employment drive
11:48
GSA cracks down on substandard mattress manufacturers in Greater Accra
19:13
Prez. Mahama calls for action-oriented Global health reforms at World health assembly
09:37
Vice President to deliver keynote address at Oxford Africa Conference 2026
13:50
Okaikwei Central MP inspects ongoing 12-unit classroom block at Apenkwa Shiayennoh
13:37
PAC pushes for mandatory publication of government arrears and outstanding claims
08:40


