Thursday, 21 May

Kofi Adams questions media coverage of 'false' feeding concerns at African Athletics Championships

Sports News
Kofi Adams, Sports & Recreation Minister

Sports Minister Kofi Adams has asserted “there was absolutely no problem with feeding,” as he criticised sections of the media over reports concerning dietary arrangements at the African Athletics Championships.

Speaking to the media on the matter, Mr Adams questioned why the media did not investigate claims made by an alleged South African athlete regarding the quantity of food served during the competition.

According to the minister, the athlete initially claimed he was served half an egg, later changed the account to one egg, and subsequently stated that he was given one chicken and later received a second after complaining.

“He said in South Africa, he eats 9 eggs,” Mr Adams noted.

“We did not make provision for any athlete to be fed 9 eggs. If any athlete has a special diet, there's a form that must be filled so that the LOC can factor those needs in. Nobody filled a form that they needed that kind of special diet. So one athlete speaking on some levels of need should not have become the running story,” he asserted.

Mr Adams further stated that on the same day the story emerged, several South African athletes expressed satisfaction with the meals provided, and were “full of smiles and thanking the people”.

The Sports Minister criticised the media for focusing on what he described as unverified allegations from “one athlete who did not provide any evidence beyond his own statement”.

Addressing the organisation of feeding during the championship, Mr Adams maintained that the Local Organising Committee handled the process effectively despite some operational challenges, including power supply interruptions that were later resolved.

“Food was something that the Local Organising Committee handled very well. They scheduled it in such a way that two groups were providing breakfast, another set of two providing lunch, another set providing dinner. So that there'd be no issues. So breakfast, lunch and dinner were all timely, and there was always enough,” he said.

“But, of course, they won't make provision for one person to collect 9 eggs. That provision was not made, and that request was also not made from any national federation to the Local Organising Committee that we are bringing a particular athlete that has dietary issues and so special arrangements be made for him.”

Mr Adams, however, acknowledged that some foreign athletes raised concerns about “the spicy nature of our foods,” adding he thought that would be an issue discussed in the media as a concern in the organisation of the event.

He emphasised that no prior information about such dietary preferences had been communicated to the Local Organising Committee.

Source: classfmonline.com/Prince Benjamin