PAC questions Labour Ministry over missing vehicles and unverified payment claims
The Public Accounts Committee has raised concerns over the disappearance of two vehicles reportedly procured by the Ministry of Labour and Employment more than a decade ago, as well as interest charges linked to unsettled payment claims.
The issue emerged during the committee’s examination of a GH¢223,127 claim captured in the Auditor-General’s special audit report on GH¢68.7 billion government arrears.
According to the audit findings, the amount relates to the purchase of two Nissan Tiida saloon vehicles that cannot currently be accounted for. The report further indicated that key supporting records connected to the transaction were missing.
Appearing before the committee on May 18, the Ministry’s Director of Finance, Mary Ninson, told members that records tied to the transaction could not be traced and that the vehicles were believed to have been acquired in 2011.
She acknowledged that the Ministry lacked sufficient documentation regarding the procurement and said auditors had been informed during the audit process.
Mrs. Ninson explained that delays in settling some outstanding obligations had led to the accumulation of interest, despite partial payments having been made for certain price adjustments. She added that the Ministry of Finance had been notified about the situation.
The Finance Director also disclosed that documents relating to the procurement of two-horsepower air conditioners could not be located, noting that auditors were informed accordingly.
According to her, auditors later sought clarification from relevant institutions, but no official responses were received.
On another matter involving the Fair Wages and Salaries Commission, Mrs. Ninson stated that a building project was estimated at GH¢5.1 million, out of which GH¢4.3 million had been certified as completed work.
She said auditors accepted the certified amount but disallowed the remaining balance because it related to unfinished work, a position the Ministry agreed with.
When questioned about how the Ministry confirmed that 40 per cent payment had been made and the records used in the process, Mrs. Ninson explained that the issue only came to light during the audit.
She said the Ministry subsequently engaged Japan Motors and other institutions to verify details surrounding the transaction, but only photocopied documents were retrieved, with no original records available.
Mrs. Ninson emphasised that original documents remain essential in validating payment claims, stressing that photocopies alone could not be relied upon for approval or settlement.
She maintained that all outstanding claims must be supported by credible and verifiable records before any payments can be processed.
Source: Classfmonline.com/Zita Okwang
Trending News

Margins ID Group supports 2026 national girls speech and debate championship
07:28
Ghana Maritime Authority celebrates International Day for Women in Maritime
15:34
Health Ministry press conference on recent health professionals recruitment tomorrow
16:05
US Embassy cautions Ghanaians against overstaying visas during World Cup
00:27
Ghana and Korea Maritime Universities explore cooperation on training, research and ocean development
10:57
Dr. Razak Kojo Opoku flags NPP's campaign strategy ahead of 2028 elections
14:01
Afenyo-Markin criticises Value for Money Office Act
12:17
Buipewura Jinapor II pays courtesy call on Volta River Authority leadership in Accra
14:47
Energy Minister participates in NPA breakfast meeting with downstream petroleum CEOs
07:15
PAC questions Labour Ministry over missing vehicles and unverified payment claims
15:36



